I was very excited to open my Kent Creative Arts newsletter the other day to find that KCA may potentially be doing another 365 Kent project. Since writing this I have moved to Cornwall – so will miss out on the 365 project. However as a concept i think it’s am amazing community project.
365 Kent A Year in the Life of (AYITLO)
A Year in the Life of (AYITLO) is a community photography project where photographers from the area capture a location throughout the day
- In 2011 the first project I became aware of was a Canterbury calendar, where you could submit photos in the hope of being selected for the calendar.
- In 2012 there were 3 projects; AYITLO Canterbury, Sheppy and Faversham.
- In 2013 there was AYITLO Whitstable.
I was fortunate enough to have some of my photos selected:
- A Year in the Life of Canterbury 2012 calendar (photos taken 2011).
- A Year in the Life of Canterbury 2013 calendar and book (photos taken 2012).
It was the AYITLO Canterbury where I really became more involved. It started on January 1st 2011 and ended 31st December 2011 where I, along with a team of photographers strove to capture the immense variety of Canterbury.
Pictures were displayed at the Beaney during the Canterbury Festival, in the heart of the City. The book and the calendar were launched during the opening of the exhibition.
I was pleased that one of my photos made a larger print which was displayed, however you could browse all the photos either in thumbnail or scroll through them on one of the many tablets that were attached to the wall.
I particularly like these projects because they encourage you to capture something about your day; learn more about the area you live, take a fresh view of the things around you, raise awareness of local talent and brings the community together.
If in doubt – do something to make your day worth capturing!